Thursday, July 3, 2008

Meeting The Parents

It's always interesting when parents show up as I'm preaching and sharing the Gospel to kids at the skate park. You never know quite what they will think or say when they see a tall 31 year old man talking to a group of kids. And I can't blame them for being concerned; being a father myself, I'd wonder what is going on if someone was talking to my teenager at a park.

I've had a few parents take notice, come up, and make a point of standing right in front of me so they know I'm there. I've also started conversations with a few of them to see where they are at spiritually. Most of the parents, truthfully, have little or no involvement with the kids at the park. Some pull up, drop off or pick up their kids, and then are on their way. Some parents have no contact with their kids because of problems at home, and/or the kids have run away to live elsewhere. A few parents will sit in their cars or stay around, but that is usually for younger kids. The majority of the parents never even come by and see what's going on, which is scary in itself, because there is no park staff or supervision to watch over what people are doing there, even late at night.

Yesterday, though, there was a dad who was watching his young son ride his bike around. Dad was on a bike himself, riding above the bowls and ramps. As I sat on one of the benches, talking to a teenager about how we cannot save ourselves from Hell, he came by to listen. He chimed in about the Holy Spirit convicting people, and then rode off for a while. It was kind of surprising and unexpected to have another believer do a drive-by like that.

I have also been witnessing to a boy named Nate for a while. I gave Nate a copy of the New Testament and several Bible tracts along with explaining the Gospel to him a few weeks ago. He came by later and told me that he had been, "doing better." I asked if he had truly repented of his sins, and he said he had not. He was still doing things he knew he should not be doing. I started repeating the Gospel once again to him to make sure he understood where he stood with God.

Meanwhile, dad and his son roll on up as they were leaving. The son was surprised to hear us talking about matters of faith. He asked who was a Christian. I raised my hand. I said that I was talking to Nate about Jesus Christ. It turns out that the son and Nate are good friends. He then turned to Nate and asked if he was a Christian. Nate said he was not sure.

The son, without skipping a beat, then looked at his friend and said something with such sincerity, honesty, and love, it almost made me want to cry. "Nate, I don't want you to go to Hell. I want you to join me in Heaven." Nate lowered his head and kind of muttered to himself before skating off slowly.

This little boy had more compassion and concern in his heart for his friend than some people have for their own families. Many people who call themselves Christians never so much as utter a word about their faith to their closest relatives, even knowing what awaits them after they die. And many make simple assumptions that their relatives are well off and already believers. But when this boy heard the uncertainty in his friend's voice, he wanted to do everything in his power to help save his friend's soul. This boy truly had the heart of Christ for his friend.

Dad then looked at his son and said that he should invite Nate to church. "Do you think he'd be able to come?" he asked his dad. Dad looked around and said, "I don't see his parents around here. Chances are if he can come here without their supervision, he can come to church on Sunday morning. I mean, it's a safer place than here, right?"

Touché.

Pray for Nate, and give glory to God for the dad and son.

No comments: